March 13, 2018 01:30:16by

John Worboys: Parole Board 'miscalculated danger posed by rapist'

John Worboys: Parole Board \'miscalculated danger posed by rapist\'

The Parole Board failed to take into account the full extent of John Worboys’s offending and therefore miscalculated the danger he still poses, the high court has been told.

Philippa Kaufmann QC, opening arguments on behalf of two of Worboys’s victims opposing his release, said psychologists had been misled into believing they understood the factors that triggered his campaign of violence against women.

Worboys consistently told those who assessed him that his offending was restricted to an 18-month period between 2006 and 2008, the hearing was told. He also explained that it started because his partner temporarily left him.

Kaufmann said the police believe his first offence against a passenger was as early as 2002 and that he went on to assault at least 105 women. That first offence long predated the breakdown of his relationship.

“This throws into doubt the entire account he gave of his offending behaviour,” Kaufmann said. “And if the triggers of his offending are not understood then how can the controls [governing his release] be considered? This throws out the Parole Board’s assumption that [Worboys] was open and honest [about dealing with his criminal past].”

Worboys repeatedly told the Parole Board that he was guilty only of the far smaller number of offences of which he was convicted, it was said.

But, the court was told, he had previously agreed to pay out £241,000 in compensation to a significant number of victims, including many whom he had not been convicted of assaulting.

In the negotiations with lawyers about settling those claims, Worboys had brought along the convicted rapist and murderer Levi Bellfield to assist him in the discussions, the court was told.